Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Farm in Nebraska

It was two weeks ago yesterday that the kids and I made the 5 1/2 hour car ride to little Laramie, Wyoming for the first time this year. Steve drove the three of us half way to Rock Springs where we then met my brother Robert who took us on the rest of the way. I don't remember when exactly we started doing our trips like this but it allows me and the kids to stay and visit family for an extra week before Steve then drives all the way to Laramie the following weekend to pick us up. Once the kids are a little older I think I will then be able to make the trip without another adult but until that time I sure do appreciate all my family members who have taken the time to make the scenic drive to Rock Springs for lunch. ;) And of course my loving husband who has made this all possible - even though I am sure he enjoys the quiet time right after he drops us off.
The day after arriving in Laramie we then made a short trip to Nebraska to meet my brother Robert's future in laws. They live on a Ranch outside of Gering where they raise cattle and we were fortunate enough to be there on one of the days they happened to be branding. The entire Revelle family was so welcoming and we had a great day playing and eating good food.
Lucas loved that they had a trampoline and 4-Wheelers and there were tons of other kids for him to play with. As far as the branding went...neither boy was too keen on what was going on. I think the noise the calves and their mommas made because of being separated was a little much for both Lucas and Landon.I loved being there for the experience!! The black calf below was less than a day old so I enjoyed watching it try to walk around on wobbly legs but kept my distance from the very protective mother.



We also saw two snakes in the front yard while at the ranch. The first little snake was quickly taken care of by Aunt Shelly wielding a shovel and the second quit larger snake was handled by her brother who carried him into the field, gave him a smack or two and sent him on his way. Needless to say I would much rather have Shelly in my corner.


After a long day of play, I think we all could have crawled up on the trampoline to take a nap. A very special thank you goes out to the Revelle family for being so kind and opening your home to me and the boys. We look forward to visiting you all again.

No comments: