Friday, November 12, 2010

Back Surgery

Sunday after getting back from Wyoming and Nebraska I went to Insta Care to try and figure out what was wrong with my back and leg. They gave me a couple of prescriptions and told me if it didn't get better by the end of the week to get an MRI. After 4 more sleepless nights I went to the emergency room where they took and MRI and then sent me to another hospital to see a Neurosurgeon. By four o'clock in the afternoon I was being wheeled from my second emergency room of the day up to my "suite" on the 14th floor. I was diagnosed with a severe herniated disc and scheduled for surgery first thing Sunday morning and would be staying in the hospital for pain control until then. Not exactly how I thought I would be spending my weekend but I was relieved to find out why I had been in so much pain and was now on my way to solving the problem. The view from my room was absolutely beautiful and I was able to see the sun shine, a rain storm and a gorgeous rainbow at the end of the day. I had multiple visitors and telephone calls from family and friends while I was waiting for surgery and am so thankful to have such a large group of people who reached out to me during this difficult time. One of the hardest things about being laid up in the hospital bed was knowing that my Ragnar Team was in Las Vegas without me running the 200 mile relay race - including my three legs of the race. I felt like I was letting my whole team down despite my friend Abril's best efforts at lifting my spirits. In the end my team finished the race thanks to Abril's husband TJ picking up my legs. I just hope to be healthy enough to train for the Wasatch Back Ragnar in 2011 and may just have another chance to run the Vegas Ragnar as well.While I was in the hospital Steve brought the boys up to see me as much as possible. They would go downstairs to the food court and bring their meals up to my room to eat with me and we made sure they had lots of toys, books and things to color while visiting me. When it came time for them to leave at the end of the day the boys would get sad which would then make me sad. They did get to spend lots of time at grandma Judy's and Papa's house where they even got to have a sleep over one night.
I was released from the hospital Monday around lunch time. Steve took Monday and Tuesday off from work so he could take care of the boys and wait on me - when I was awake that is. Tuesday afternoon my mom, my sister Tonia and Barley Dog got into town to help out with the boys so Steve could go back to work.

Wednesday we got a snowstorm that brought enough snow for the boys to go out and build a snowman with Aunt Tonia. I am not sure who had more fun - the boys or Aunt Tonia. Grandma Janice and I watched from the front door as Frosty came to be and the snowballs flew through the air.


Lucas and Landon had so much fun playing with Aunt Tonia and Barley. She was up at the crack of dawn each day - getting ready, getting the boys fed, dressed, delivered to school and ready for the day. By the end of the visit the popular phrase from the boys was "I want Aunt Tona to do." Grandma Janice tried to help with the boys, the house and meals but for the most part Aunt Tonia was three steps ahead of all of us. I am so thankful for the two of them and relieved that they were able to be here when I needed them most.



No comments: