Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Midway, Utah - MGW 2011

This year our "Moms Gone Wild" trip took us to Midway, Utah. Our good friend Lori is pregnant and due in the next month or so and therefor we did not want to venture too far away from home. I had never been to Midway and was just excited to get a break from everyday life and spend some much needed time with my favorite friends. We rented a beautiful condo at the Zermatt Resort and therefor had access to all the hotel amenities.We arrived at the condo Thursday late afternoon where we had a couple of drinks and spent some time catching up with our out of town friends. Brandi flew in from Oklahoma and Alison flew in from her new home in Texas. We went to dinner at a fantastic Mexican restaurant called Tarahumara that had the largest salsa bar EVER!! Then we headed to the local grocery store so we could grab dinner for the following night as well as other necessities. Friday morning I woke up and went for a little walk before heading to the fitness center at the Zermatt Hotel. While walking and talking on the phone with Steve and the boys I saw a group of deer right in front of me. I stopped and watched them as they stopped and watched me before gracefully running off. While running on the treadmill I noticed a fenced area in the back of the Zermatt that was home to some goats. The longer I ran I noticed that some of the goats were not in the pin and shortly after asking the trainer if they were supposed to be running free I got to watch a couple of men dressed in Swedish costumes 'herd' the goats back in to the pin and fix the fence.
Around lunch time Sarah, Angi, Jessenia and I headed to Rocky Mountain Outfitters to go on our scheduled horse back ride. I thought I would be a lot more nervous than I was since the last time I was on a horse, some 25 years ago, I was bucked off twice in one day. Thankfully our pre-ride cocktail seemed to be just right in calming my nerves. :)
My horses name was Apples and as soon as I saw her I knew she was the one for me, she was by far the prettiest of the bunch. At first she tried to push her limits with me by stopping ever so often to snack but I soon learned I was going to have to be stern with her. She did let me take her jogging a couple of times even though I'm not so sure our guide approved. It was so much fun and was an experience I won't soon forget.
We headed back to our condo at the Zermatt where we watched some quality t.v. - Jersey Shore before it was time to get dinner ready and get ourselves ready for a night out on the big town of Heber. We ended up at The Other End Bar & Grille where we were treated with live music from the band Whiskey Dick.
Not exactly our type of crowd or music but we knew that with a couple of drinks and 9 good friends we were bound to enjoy ourselves. My only regret from the night was buying a hat that says Whiskey Dick on it and has the silhouette of a naked girl from the mudflaps on it. Something I most likely won't be wearing when I go to pick Lucas up from school. ;)' We really loved when the band went and took a smoke break every other song so that we could play good music on the jukebox and get our groove on.
Saturday morning Jessenia and Sarah joined me in the gym where we tried to sweat out some of the liquor that was consumed the night before. If that didn't do it then the sauna afterwards did. We all took it easy most of the day and even managed to catch a couple more episodes of the Jersey Shore. Angi and I did venture off at one point to the gift shops to try and find souvenirs to take home to the kiddos. We happened upon some natural pools on the Zermatt property before heading across the street to the Homestead to roam around and check out their natural pool.
After roaming a while we called the house to see if anyone else wanted to wander into town since we had been unsuccessful in our search for gifts and we also needed a ride. Luckily Jessenia was going stir crazy so she picked us up and we stopped off at a cute little coffee shop, Fill-er-Up, for a cup o' Joe before hitting some of the local shops.
Still unsuccessful in finding gifts we went in search for another tavern in Heber we had heard about and found out that they were having karaoke that night at 9 o'clock. We hit Wal Mart for a few things we needed for dinner and I got the boys each a toy to take home. Not very original but they loved their new Bayblades.
After a yummy dinner of pasta salads we once again began the task of primping before hitting the Timp Tavern. We had lots of fun with karaoke and just might make that a moms trip tradition.
Sunday we were all up early and ready to get home to our families. For those of us in the Salt Lake Valley, it was a short little trip and for the other two girls we are so thankful that they go through all the headaches of flying to be with us on this weekend. Love all these ladies and don't know what I'd do without them.

No comments: