Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Green Thumbs??

Look at those tomato and pepper plants!!

Look at those quail eggs hiding behind my tomato and pepper plants!
Look at daddy quail on the look out.

Look at momma quail pacing back and forth waiting for us to leave.
Last week while I was watering my plants I noticed that every time I got near my tomato plants a quail would come flying out of them. Then while weeding the garden a short time later I thought the quail sounds were inches away from me. After further inspection I couldn't believe what a saw - a quails nest with 11 eggs and two very angry quail birds keeping look out. After taking pictures and showing Steve and the kids then Kristin and her family I decided it was time to leave the momma and her eggs alone.
I go out to check on her everyday and now she doesn't even leave her nest. I like to think it is because she knows I am just there to observe and not there to harm her or her eggs. I leave for Wyoming in a couple of days and hope the eggs do not hatch while I am away. Yet if they do it is probably best because the boys will not be around to scare the babies and their very protective parents.

No comments: