Thursday, November 14, 2013

Halloween 2013

The evening of October 29th was a night I will not soon forget.  As I was walking down to the basement, Taby got under my feet and we both fell down the stairs.  At some point I landed on top of her and she immediately began crying in an unforgettably horrific way.  Steve scooped her up and held her while I gathered my bearings.  She began defecating involuntarily and so we all rushed her to the emergency vet.  It was such an emotional experience, as we had no idea how serious her injuries were.  As there was nothing more we could do for Taby, we were sent home to wait for test results and x-rays.  The doctor found possible spinal injury and performed steroid injections that night.  I did not sleep much the first night and neither did the boys. 
 
The next day, Taby was better neurologically but after more tests the vet found that her bladder had a tear and was leaking urine in her abdomen.  As we spent the evening carving pumpkins and trying to keep ourselves occupied, Taby was taken in for surgery to repair her bladder.  When tragedies strike around the holidays, it's so hard to carry on and put on a brave face for our children. 
 
The next day I just wanted to go sit at the hospital with my dog but was in charge of the Halloween party for the kindergarten class.  So immediately after Landon and I left his classroom we went to visit Taby at the vet.  She was still pretty out of it from having surgery the night before but was doing a lot better then the last time I saw her.  At 4:20 on Halloween eve we got a call from the vet saying we could come back and pick up our dog.  I think we were there and back home with our baby girl by 5:00!  Just in time for chili and trick-or-treating.  :)  
 
The first couple of days were really rough with Taby, trying to get her to eat, forcing medicine down her throat several times a day and having to carry her every where.  Gradually we could see that she was getting better.  Now 2 weeks later she runs around under my feet as if nothing ever happened.          

Anyways.....here's what else was going on at the McCormack household.








No comments: